Counseling is a process that deals with helping individuals in overcoming problems affecting their daily lives; rather than serious psychiatric illnesses.
Counseling/Psychotherapy combined with EFT is a potent tool for finding core issues & understanding the nature of problems to achieve faster resolution.
As a Counseling Psychologist, I help individuals in overcoming problems affecting their daily lives. The focus is on adjustment problems rather than serious psychiatric illnesses. I deal with neurosis (anxiety, panic attacks, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Phobias, PTSD etc) which is less severe psychopathology than psychosis. Rational Emotive Therapy (RET) is one of the therapies that I use for counseling. It is a part of Cognitive behavior therapy.The focus of RET is to identify and target irrational beliefs, since they lead to maladjustment and self defeating behavior.
Characteristics of Counseling
- Client confidentiality is given utmost importance.
- Therapy is non-judgemental and involves a fine balance between objectivity and empathy.
- It is a collaborative effort between the therapist and the client.
- Clients are helped in taking decisions on their own and unsolicited advices are not forced on them.
- Psychologists/therapists “do not engage in unfair discrimination based on age, gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or any basis proscribed by law”. (APA code of Ethics)