This is something that comes up often when I work with clients – how to handle thoughts that you you feel you shouldn’t have – inappropriate thoughts. The thing is when an inappropriate thought occurs the tendency is to immediately suppress it which in turn actually makes it more compelling and increases the frequency of the thought. The key is to not suppress and neither over focus on the thought. The brain is bombarded by so much sensroy data, that it is not possible to not have any unwanted thoughts. The brain is very good at making associations and in bringing up stuff that you really don’t want to think of.
Mostly we overanalyse our thoughts and focus too much on the whys and hows and that leads to anxiety and the feeling that, “What if I act on this thought?”
Here’s a simple step by step exercise that you can do with EFT.
1) Voice your thoughts, no matter how silly, inappropriate or bad they sound
2) Tap on fully accepting them. ” I accept these thoughts”
3) Tap on fully accepting yourself, despite having those thoughts. ” I accept myself despite having these thoughts”
4) Then tap on Releasing the thoughts. ” I choose to release these thoughts”
5) Tap on Trusting yourself. ” I choose to trust myself”
You might find this helpful:
If the unwanted thought has popped up for the first time – don’t over focus on it. Let it pass away and don’t judge yourself for it too.
If the unwanted thought is coming again and again, then allow it full acceptance and tap on releasing it. Choose to be compassionate to yourself in this process and TRUST yourself that you will not act on it.