What is Occupational/Job stress?
‘A condition arising from the interaction of people and their jobs and characterized by change within people that force them to deviate from normal functioning.’ ( Beehr & Newman, Organizational Behavior).
Stress has psychological, physiological and behavioral implications. A simple example would be that job stress can lead to irritability, elevated blood pressure and frequent arguments at home and in office.
Elevated B.P – Physiological
Behavioral- Arguments and fights at home and in office
What are the causes of Job Stress?
The factors present Outside the organization – EFT application for some of the factors are given below.
Family situation – This has a huge impact on the personality of the individual. E.g. – Unsupportive family be it parents or spouse, brief crisis etc.
Financial Aspects – Changes in income levels etc.
Even though my income is low, sp1 (sp1 stands for I deeply and
completely love and accept myself or I love and accept myself)
Even though I have financial problems, sp1
Even though I am trying to overcome them but am not succeeding, sp1
Exploring the causes for low income will also help immensely.
Relocation to a new city, country
Tapping on all the stress related to shifting like unpacking, setting up house, shopping etc.
Sudden Life changes such as death of someone in the family, health problems etc. Dealing with grief and guilt with EFT is important.
Race, culture, religion play a vital role in stress. Tapping on racial and gender discrimination helps a lot.
Factors present Inside an Organization– Some of the factors are given below. Tapping on each factor will help.
- Downsizing – Being laid off due to recession is a harrowing experience. Tap on the anger, guilt, frustration, hopelessness etc.
- Competition in the organization.
- Rotating work shifts for e.g. in B.P.O industry.
- Conflicts due to role ambiguity.
- Restrictive environment.
- No opportunity for growth.
- Favoritism in the office.
- Crowded work area.
- Rigidity – Inability to adjust to new circumstances.
- Taking work home.
- Inability to relax even on weekends
- Tired of working long hours.
- Setting goals that are too unrealistic to be achieved.
- Comparing oneself unfavorably with others.
- Lack of self-appreciation and confidence in one’s abilities.
- Constant Pressure of deadlines.
- Disliking the job or low job satisfaction.
- Inability to say ‘No’ when required.
- Inability to manage space (boundaries).
- Aggressive behavior.
- Fear of failure.
- Blocks related to money
Fear of failure
Even though I’m scared of failure, sp1
Even though I may never succeed, sp1
Even though I cannot succeed/will not succeed/have not succeeded till now, sp1
Even though my fear is blocking my ability to succeed, sp1
Blocks related to money
Even though I have these beliefs about money that are blocking my success, sp1. Even though I can never be rich or successful, sp1. Even though i can never earn as much as others, sp2
EFT will not magically open new avenues for you. However, EFT will definitely decrease the intensity of stress caused by the above mentioned factors and will help in removing the blocks to your thinking which in turn will bring about a change in your behavior and outlook. Decreasing stress will lead to better decision making ability, a whole lot of choices that you may not have noticed earlier and loads of self confidence. And these definitely will open new avenues for you.